About the AISTS
The AISTS (International Academy of Sports Science and Technology) was founded in 2000 by the IOC, EPFL (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne), University of Lausanne, University of Geneva, IMD Business School, Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL), city of Lausanne and canton of Vaud.
A not-for-profit foundation, the AISTS is committed to professionalising sports management through continuing education, applied research and an engaging platform for industry connections.
Our flagship programme is the postgraduate Master of Advanced Studies (MAS) in Sports Administration - educating aspiring sport managers from all over the world since 2003. Each year, the AISTS delivers over 900 hours of continuing education, workshops, seminars and projects, bringing together over 140 international sports experts in the sciences of Management, Technology, Law, Medicine, and Sociology - all in the efforts of preparing tomorrow's sport leaders.
Our Flagship Programme, the AISTS MAS in Sport Administration
The AISTS Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration and Technology (MAS in Sport Administration) is a unique 15-month international postgraduate programme in sports management, endorsed by the International Olympic Committee, and located in Lausanne, Switzerland.
What makes the AISTS MAS in Sport Administration degree unique?
- The strong connection with the Olympic Movement having the International Olympic Committee, which is also a founding member of the AISTS and International Sport Federations lecture in class creates a deep understanding and appreciation of the Olympic Movement and Values
- The location of Lausanne, as Olympic Capital, with its high concentration of International Federations, the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and international sporting events like Athletissima provides the ideal setting to study sports management
- The academic weight of having three prestigious universities co-sign the degree namely the EPFL, University of Geneva and University of Lausanne.
- The multi-disciplinary approach provides individuals a 360° view of sport management with a wide range of topics covered namely Management, Law, Sociology, Technology and Medicine
- The rich network of over 140 lecturers and speakers consisting of approximately 50% academics and 50% practitioners brings theory and practice together providing a complete perspective of sports management
Who is the AISTS MAS in Sport Administration for?
The AISTS MAS in Sport Administration is targeted at candidates who have a university degree and previous work experience but wish to re-orientate their career in the sports industry.
Experience in the sports industry is therefore not a prerequisite but experiences related to sport is a plus, ie, athlete, volunteer, member of sport event organising committee, member of club’s committee, journalism in sport, coaching etc.
International level athletes who participated in world championships, Olympic Games, etc. are also welcome to the programme.
A dedicated scholarship is also offered to such athletes (see AISTS Athlete Scholarship).
To ensure a personalised, interactive environment, the programme is limited to 35-40 students.
What is the outline of the AISTS MAS in Sport Administration programme?
Held in Lausanne, the Olympic Capital, participants are trained by experts in sport and academics, in the following multidisciplinary fields applied directly to sport.
- Management & Economics
This sports management education programme includes 9 months in the classroom (lectures, case studies, activities and field trips), 2 months of work experience in the sports industry, with the rest of the time spent on a team project and research paper.
- End of September - June: Lectures and Course Assignments, Written Exams & Team Project (must be completed in Lausanne) - Full-time.
- January - August: Research Paper
- August - December (of the following year): At least 8 weeks of work experience
- December (of the following year): Graduation Ceremony
The Master of Advanced Studies is not to be confused with the Bologna Master. The AISTS MAS in Sport Administration is a continuing education degree, similar to an MBA that is typically taken in addition to a Bologna Master. In lieu of the prerequisite Bologna Master’s degree, the programme may accept students with a 3 year undergraduate degree (Bologna Bachelor degree), if they have years of work experience.
Which academic institutions sign the AISTS MAS in Sport Administration degree?
The AISTS MAS in Sport Administration is a 15-month full time postgraduate programme which is delivered in Lausanne, the Olympic Capital, Switzerland.
It is organised by AISTS on behalf of some of the best academic and technology institutes of Switzerland who co-sign the degree:
- UNIL (University of Lausanne)
- UNIGE (University of Geneva)
AISTS MAS in Sport Administration Syllabus
Participant Profile Brochures
2017 | 2016